CA.SFU.FAS.UCC/Papers:2003-14

Course changes: REM 445 and 471

Duncan Knowler, School of Resource and Environmental Management

April 24, 2003

1. Change in prequisites: REM 445-3
  2. Change in description and prequisites: REM 471-3

1. Change in prerequisites: REM 445-3.

The prerequisite statement for REM 445-3 Environmental Risk Assessment and Management of Hazardous Substances should be modified as follows.

Current Proposed
Prerequisites: CHEM 102, 115, REM 100, EVSC 200, MATH 151 or 154 or 157, STAT 101 or 103 or 301.
Prerequisites: MATH 151, 154, or 157; STAT 101, 103, or 301 or GEOG 251.

Rationale

(a) Over the last few years that I have offered REM 445, students have commented on the fact that several of the prerequisites, though required as prerequisites, should not have been required as the material is not essential to the course material presented in REM 445. I have examined their complaint and I agree that the materials covered in these courses is indeed not essential for REM 445. As a result, I have waived prerequisites for several students in the past and this has had no apparent effect on their ability to grasp the course materials.

(b) The large number of prerequisites has made it difficult for certain students, especially students from geography, to take REM 445. Removing the prerequisites will make REM 445 more accessible to undergraduate students on campus. Geography students want better access to REM 445 and I think that this is justified and that the students are sufficiently prepared with the math and statistics prerequisites.

2. Change in description and prerequisites: REM 471-3.

The description and prerequisites for REM 471-3 Forest Ecosystem Management should be modified as follows.

ItemCurrent Proposed
Description

In this course students will examine the problems of managing forest ecosystems for a variety of societal goals and objectives. The course will start with an examination of the ecological characteristics of forest ecosystems and their dynamics. The second section will focus on the objectives and tools of forest management in an ecological context. The final section of the course will focus on the institutions, economics and policies of forest management, with a focus on British Columbia's historical and current management issues. This course will involve lectures, group discussions, field trips and exercises, and computer labs.

Students will examine the problems of managing forest ecosystems for a variety of societal goals and objectives. The course will start with an examination of the ecological characteristics of forest ecosystems and their dynamics. The second section will focus on the objectives and tools of forest management in an ecological context. The final section of the course will focus on the institutions, economics and policies of forest management, with a focus on British Columbia's historical and current management issues. This course will involve lectures, group discussions, field trips, and exercises.
Prerequisites
Prerequisite: EVSC 200, 311 and 356.
Prerequisite: At least one of REM 311, BISC 304, BISC 310, BISC 404, GEOG 315, or GEOG-316.

Rationale

For this course the students should only need to have any 3rd year ecology class. Thus, the list of prerequisites includes as alternatives the 3rd year ecology classes in BISC and GEOG in addition to REM-311. These changes also reflect minor modifications in the course description (e.g. no computer lab).