CA.SFU.FAS.UCC/Papers:2004-5C

TechOne Revisions: 2004/5 Calendar

Robert D. Cameron, Associate Dean of Applied Sciences, and Jane Fee, Special Advisor to the Dean of Applied Sciences for Surrey Programs

Revision C - February 27, 2004

As approved at the Faculty of Applied Sciences Undergraduate Curriculum Committee Meeting of February 27, 2004.

I. Change in Course Numbering: TECH 117-3 and TECH 124-3

At the request of the School of Interactive Arts and Technology, the following renumbering of TechOne courses is proposed.

Current Proposed
TECH 117-3
IAT 100-3
TECH 124-3
IAT 101-3

Rationale

TECH 117-3 Systems of Media Representation and TECH 124-3 New Media Images are the two core TechOne courses that focus on the foundational subject material of the School of Interactive Arts and Technology. The proposed renumbering reflects this fact and signifies that further development of the courses will be under the School rather than under the TechOne program.

II. Program Revisions

The following revisions to the TechOne program are proposed.
Current Proposed

TechOne

Tech One is an integrated, cohort-based first year that offers a broad program centred around the interplay of creative arts and information technology in an entrepreneurial world. Tech One is intended both as a general year of study for students who wish to explore this interplay as a component of any Simon Fraser University degree program as well as the foundation year for degree programs specializing in computing and design. These programs include traditional programs in computing science as well as new programs in design science based on the interactive arts and information technology curriculum developed at the former Technical University of British Columbia.

The TechOne program is offered at Simon Fraser University's Surrey campus.

TechOne

TechOne is an integrated, cohort-based program for students seeking to major in business, computing science or interactive arts and technology as well as for those interested in a broad foundation centred around the interplay of creative arts and information technology in an entrepreneurial world.

TechOne consists of 30 credits of required and elective courses taken over two semesters. Students entering the TechOne program must commit to full-time study and are required to register for 15 credits of coursework each term.

The TechOne program is offered at Simon Fraser University's Surrey campus.

First Semester

The first semester of Tech One consists 18 credits of course work, required of all students.

BUS 130-3 Business in the Networked Economy I
CMPT/TECH 149-3 Introduction to Computer Systems
MATH 151-3 Calculus I
TECH 100-3 Fundamentals of Teamwork and Communication I
TECH 114-3 History and Theory of Technology and Culture
TECH 117-3 Systems of Media Representation

Second Semester

The second semester of Tech One consists of 18 credits of course work, including the following 15 credits that must be completed by all students.

CMPT 101-3 Introduction to Computer Programming
MACM 101-3 Discrete Mathematics I
MATH 232-3 Elementary Linear Algebra
TECH 101-3 Fundamentals of Teamwork and Communication II
TECH 124-3 New Media Images

In addition one of the following courses must be taken.
BISC 100-4 Introduction to Biology
BUS 131-3 Business in the Networked Economy II
KIN 142-3 Introduction to Kinesiology
PHYS 101-3 General Physics I

First Semester Core

The first semester of TechOne consists of 9 credits of core courses plus 6 credits satisfying the TechOne Mathematics and Elective requirements.

TECH 100-3 Fundamentals of Teamwork and Communication I
CMPT 120-3 Introduction to Computing Science and Programming I
IAT 100-3 Systems of Media Representation

Second Semester Core

The second semester of TechOne consists of the following 9 credits of core courses plus 6 credits of coursework satisfying the TechOne Mathematics and Elective requirements.

TECH 101-3 Fundamentals of Teamwork and Communication II
CMPT 125-3 Introduction to Computing Science and Programming II
IAT 101-3 New Media Images

TechOne Mathematics Requirements

Students must complete at least 3 credits of MATH/MACM courses chosen from the following.

MACM 101-3 Discrete Mathematics I
MATH 151-3 Calculus I
MATH xxx-3 (new course under development)

Students interested in information technology programs must take both MACM 101-3 and MATH 151-3.

TechOne Elective Requirements

Each semester a list of qualifying TechOne electives will be made available. Students must choose from the available electives to reach a minimum total of 15 credits of courses for each semester.

Rationale

These changes reflect several factors guiding the evolution of the TechOne program. The first is the reduction of the overall first-year course load from 36 credits to a normal full-time load of 30 credits. The 36-credit load was a carryover from the curriculum of the former Technical University of B.C. In substantially raising the bar in the math requirements, we have found that the 36 credit load (including 9 credits of calculus, discrete math and linear algebra) is excessive. Some would even argue that a 30 credit load continues to be too heavy, as it is well above the average course load of SFU students in their first two semesters. However, 30 credits is the nominal standard for a full-time load and many universities do have success with first-year cohort programs based on this standard.

A second factor is the development of the curriculum of the new School of Interactive Arts and Technology. For some streams of this program, the nominal math requirement has been reduced to 3 credits. As the School is presently dependent on TechOne for all of its incoming students, we have come to accept this as a minimum math requirement in TechOne, even though 6 credits of math would be the preferred minimum for students entering the various information technology programs (computing and related programs, engineering, arts and design technology).

The third factor is the evolution of participation by longstanding SFU units at the Surrey campus, both in program offerings and individual course offerings. At the program level, follow-on options for TechOne students have been definitively identified with business, computing science and interactive arts and technology programs at the Surrey campus, as well as future transfer possibilities to engineering science. In addition, an expanded array of courses from arts, science, business and applied sciences are being made available. Thus, we have settled on a six-course core to define the cohort program together with at least three credits in mathematics; beyond this students will be given a relatively free choice of electives from lists published each semester as the program evolves. Providing a list each semester will also give the various follow-on programs an opportunity to make recommendations.